Friday, June 8, 2012

Warre’s Otima 10 – 10 Year Tawny Port

2 Words….Dee. Lish!  This wine/port was brought to me as a birthday gift, from my daughter Chelsea’s friend, Anthony….I know – a friend that’s a boy bringing wine to her Mom (and good wine!)…trust me, I’m all over it. Nice guy though.

The Tawny Port, I’ll admit – not a wine I would normally even think about trying as I’m not a big sweet wine drinker. ..BUT!  I’m glad I tried it – it added a new wine to my list and I’ll drink it again, given the chance – of course next time, I’ll have some cheesecake with it. J

The Tawny Port’s rim variation was fairly red, but brown around the edges, so it was definitely an older wine, that’s been stored in an oak cask.  The aromas were of sweet smoke, with hints of cinnamon and the flavors…oh the flavors….very pungent on the front of the palate with flavors of a spicy caramel, honey and sweet, sweet coffee.  It has a nice long finish, with honey (again and still), and almost a little plum.  There are a lot of flavors in this port and if you like activity in your wine/port…this is the one to try.

I truly enjoyed the wine/port, as well as the company I had while drinking it.  Like I said, next time I’ll have it with some cheesecake, as it’s definitely a dessert wine, but awfully delicious.

The Warre’s founded Otima in 1670 and are from Portugal.  They have been making wines/ports that have exceeded in medals, awards and all kinds of good reviews for over 300 years.  Give this port a try when given the opportunity, as it is definitely one that won’t disappoint.


Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment