Monday, April 9, 2012

2008 Trinitas Old Vine Zinfandel


Trinitas 2008 Old Vine Zinfandel - 1 word ..…Heaven. 
This wine has been one of my favorites ever since I realized that Zinfandel shouldn’t be pink, or come out of a box.  Back in my younger days, I’d sit on my front porch with my girlfriend Vicki and we’d polish off a box of Zinfandel and chat it up like there was no tomorrow.  Oh, those were the days.
But now that I’ve matured in my wine drinking, I’ve moved on to better labels and will only drink wine that is bottled. J 
One of my recent choices, was the 2008 Trinitas Old Vine Zinfandel. It is a dark red/brown in color and the rim variation, I thought, was insignificant. The aromas on the nose we medium fruit with a hint of oak and dill.  The alcohol content is 14.8% - Yikes!  Or should I say…WooHoo!
On the palate, the tannin’s were lightly active at the front of the palate and also at the back, very consistent through-out the taste.  The body is moderate – not too light and not too full, just medium bodied.  The flavors of plum, blackberry and vanilla appear immediately, and then I also tasted honey and a little white pepper.  This wine was very active with flavors, but none that I found offensive, all complimented the others.
Because of all the flavors that are in this wine, they make it versatile with just about any food pairing. You could have it with poultry or red meat, I would assume red meat would be best due to the white pepper, but that’s just me.  Chocolate would be another great treat to have with this Zin.
Trinitas Cellars is located in Napa Valley and was found by Tim and Steph Bush in 2002, and is still run by them and their children. One of the great things about Napa Valley is that most wineries are family-owned and it’s because of a passion that one has for wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment