Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bordino's Restaurant and Wine Bar - Fayetteville, AR


So, since I’ll be working in Fayetteville Arkansas for the next few months, I thought it was important to take care of my priorities…find the best wine bar that I enjoy going to, or find out if f Fayetteville even HAS a wine bar. Turns out they do – and a good one.
The 1st night I came in was the night the Razorbacks coach was fired from the college football team. This coach has brought them to 3rd place in the championships,  a better place they’ve been in, in a long time.   I can say one thing….when people talk about the South taking their football seriously…they were right. Especially for a team that has been brought to the place they are today – Fayetteville is very proud of their football  team, as well they should be.  Bordino’s was real busy, tables full, bar was full, as people were here to pre-funk before the Foreigner concert a couple blocks away. When the press conference came on and the owner announced that he had to dismiss Bob Petrino, the whole place was silent and you could just feel the hearts fall as it was announced.  This is a college town and this decision was very near and dear to their hearts.
At first, I was thinking to myself “I’ve never seen anything like this!”  Then I realized the passion these people have for their sports team, just like we do at home. It reminded me of when Seattle lost our Super Sonics – our only Championship team…which we still haven’t gotten over.  It gave me a sense of what this town was about and it was good.
 As the evening went on, the concert goers finally left (45 minutes late) and I proceeded to enjoy my evening with the staff at Bordino’s.  Erin, the Beverage Manager was more than generous in her wine education and was a lot of fun to be around. Her staff Brandon and Rachel, were just as much fun. Everyone seemed to enjoy working together which made it nice to be a customer. Nobody likes an angry bartender or waiter. 
Bordinos offers a great selection of wines, in fact, more than I imagined – I was pleasantly surprised. They obviously take pride in their wine selections, as they serve wines from Washington,  Oregon, California, France, Argentina, Spain, etc…  We tried a few different whites, one was the Elk Cove Pinot Blanc and I have to say…’Oh Hell Yeah!”  I’ve never had a Pinot Blanc before but Erin turned me on to it and I am so thankful for her!  J  It’s a very crisp and clean white wine with active tannins and flavors of pear that settle immediately after hitting the front of the palate. Deeee-Lish! This one wasn’t on the menu but she let me have some any way. My 2nd visit…my new buddy, Brandon, also served it to me. I think they like me!  Mmmwwaaahhhh.
The food menu is also quite significant. I had a 2 cheese selection and some Lemon/Orange cured salmon which went perfectly with my Pinot Blanc. 
A few things I look for while traveling that make a big difference to me are good wine, good people and amazing customer service.  I found all 3 here at Bordino’s.  I hope they don’t get sick of me. J

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment