Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Velvet Devil - 2010 Merlot


Well, I’m FINALLY writing a blog on a Washington Wine, considering that I live in Washington State, you’d think I’d write more about Washington wines.  Maybe I was inspired because the maker of this wine (Charles Smith) looks identical to Sammy Hagar! Yeah…that’s it.

Charles Smith was voted the Food & Wine Winemaker of the year in 2009, so that definitely says something about his wine-making skills.  The vineyard is located in Walla Walla, WA also known as the Columbia Valley,  and they make several varietals of wine such as Cabernets, Chardonnays, Pinot Nois, Reisling, Syrah, etc…of which, I’m going to have to try more of. J

The 2010 Velvet Devil Merlot is a spectacular wine…I’m not much of a merlot fan, as I like big flavors in my wine. However! This merlot does not compare to some of the smaller Merlot’s I’ve tasted. It has big flavor at the beginning and at the end of the tasting, with flavors such as Blackberry, Plum and some light spice. The tannins are a bit heavy on the palate to start with but settle immediately after, leaving some light spice on the back of the palate.  This wine has little rim variation which indicates a younger wine, but full of great flavors.

I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this wine and even more surprised when I saw the price – it retails for $12.00 a bottle – I guess it’s true what they say…good things come in small packages.

Give this wine a try and maybe then move on to some other Charles Smith wines…I know I’m going to – while cranking up Sammy Hagar on the iPod. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment